my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Monday, September 26, 2011

storing perishables

Tilia FoodSaver Regular Jar Sealer AttachmentI love finding ways to store perishables. I like using my vacuum sealer's jar lid attachment. You just plug this little guy into the portal on the front of a vacuum sealer. (Not all sealers have the portal- so if you are going to buy one for this purpose, keep that in mind)
Once it is plugged in, the jar attachment goes on top of the canning jar and when you turn the vacuum sealer on it sucks all the air out of the jar! It is so awesome. I love that you may use old canning lids for this- so save your old lids. Keep in mind too if you are buying a wide mouth, regular mouth, or universal attachment. I only have a regular mouth attachment, so I can't use wide mouth jars for this.
Here are some chocolates I got on major sale last year after Easter. I have stored chocolate, whole nuts, and raisins this way, but have not ventured into items like chips, crackers, and even peanut M&M's because of the oils in them. I thought they would not last.
BUT- I was wrong. (this is the first time that has happened)
At the preparedness fair I went to there was a lady who has sealed peanut butter crackers, and they had been sealed a year. She popped the jar open and I had one. It was fresh- I would have thought it came directly out of the package.
When times get tough be it a job loss, illness, economic crash..... I want some freakin' chocolate in my storage! I want all those normal foods that my family will actually eat and be comforted by, and I am sure you do too.
Word of caution...... just make sure you actually seal the jar. If you leave it on the shelf and have the intention of sealing it YOUR FAMILY WILL EAT IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment