my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Im buggin out. wanna go?

Given the crazy goings on in Japan, I thought it appropriate to talk about bug out bags or (72 hr. kits) this month. There are so many different things to store in your BOB, and you should make it suit your family. I have a few items that are just a must have and I want to go over those today. For those of you that have your BOB’s and think you can exit out of this without reading on I ask you this…. Do you have a can of neon spray paint!? That’s right, I said neon spray paint. Ha! I didn’t think so. This tip comes from a friend of mine.  More often than not statistics show disasters happen when the man is outside of the home. If you had to grab your bags and kids and bug out you could spray paint on the house, sidewalk, or just about anywhere “we are safe and went to my mother’s” or whatever message you need to convey. It would be good to explain this idea to your latchkey kids if you and your husband work out of the home.  I also thought of times when I go to the park and dress my kids in obnoxiously bright clothing so that I can easily spot them. If there was chaos (like Japan) I could put a big X on the back of their shirt, so that if they did get lost in the crowd I could spot them or tell a government agency “there is a neon X on his shirt”.  A second great idea is having a luggage tag on each BOB. This would be especially great on kid’s bags if separated, or if you were seriously injured and unconscious. In the tags list your home address and different numbers and addresses of family members, and allergies etc. You would want to have as many addresses/numbers as possible in case there is a problem with telephone lines. Besides the bags there should be a designated place that your family knows where to go if you are forced to leave the house and are separated. I also keep my “brain” in my BOB. It is a folder with different information I would need in a disaster like mortgage info, account numbers, lists of what is in my home for insurance purposes, etc. Following will be some of the papers I have in my brain, so you could do the same if you want. Basic kits (one kit for each person) should include a change of clothes (extra socks), food, water (1 gallon per person per day), flashlight (tape the batteries on the outside of the flashlight so that batteries wont drain over time), first aid kit, way to start a fire, tarp, rope, money, knife, and trash bags. If you have animals you need to think of them too. My dog has her own pack that she will carry and I keep her leash next to the BOB’s. A baby sling is great in the BOB, also a copy of documents from your computer on a flash drive (in your brain). I have more ideas for BOB’s email me if interested. REMEMBER: Go cheap. Think Goodwill… your BOB does not have to have everything at once or be Gucci!    ******* The link on the right at the top (under pages) has some documents you can print, and fill out for your brain. It is complete to the T, and if you have a child go missing, your house catches on fire, or burglarized, a natural disaster- what have you.... you will have everything you need. Numbers of who you need to call, all your account numbers, precious documents etc. ***********            

No comments:

Post a Comment