my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

good old expiration

Expiration dates can be a problem when storing. I have come to realize that they don't mean much at all. These dates are thought up by attorneys for food companies, so that the food companies do not get sued.... they are not created by the FDA. The only expiration date that I can find that is regulated by the FDA is on baby formula.
So- eat away. The nose knows. If you open a can and it stinks.... don't eat it.
If you have a can that is seeping..... don't eat it. I think common sense comes in real handy when dealing with this. But- I cut the mold of cheese and eat the rest. I'm crazy like that.
and now I'm feeling a bit vindicated.

"the Utah State University Cooperative extension you can read the latest information on the shelf life of commercially canned foods. This website says, “ For emergency storage, commercially canned foods in metal or jars will remain safe to consume as long as the seal has not been broken.” They go on to say that the quality won’t be retained for that long, but it’s still safe to eat in an emergency. The Canned Food Alliance concurs and has stated that canned food is safe to eat “as long as the can is not damaged in any way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment