my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Monday, May 9, 2011

milk and milk

I love milk and we drink it raw around here. Nice and thick! I am having a hard time adjusting to the idea of powdered milk (gulp. yuck)
I do not want to drink it and I hope I will always be able to get my raw milk.... but I KNOW that I will not. So I need to get used to the powdered stuff, and I am trying to get my family used to it, so that if we had to drink it all of a sudden it would not be a big deal.
BUT- I do like almond milk (I want to make pecan milk) and I can store whole almonds for a few years in glass canning jars. All you need is a food saver and the attachment that goes on the top of the jar that sucks all the air out. (you can find food savers cheap on craigslist or ebay)
And in a pinch you could have almond milk. In a true worst case you would need a hand powered blender.

ALMOND MILK:
2 cups raw almonds
6 cups water
4 dates or some honey or some stevia
a pinch of salt

soak the almonds overnight. Just cover then with water-keep in mind they will swell a bit so put them in a bowl to accommodate that. (in a worst case you could use this water to give your plants a drink)
The next day rinse and drain them well and take 1/2 the almonds and 3 cups water and blend well. I try and blend each batch for about 2 minutes.
Then take the rest of the almonds and 3 cups water and your sweetener and blend. You will pour this through either a nut bag or some cheesecloth. I used cheesecloth, and it worked but I know a nut bag will be much easier to work with and I want to get one.
It is ready to drink!!
You can store it in the fridge.

Here is a great link to the Hillbilly Housewife
She has instructions for making different things out of powdered milk like yogurt.
I made the yogurt and it turned out great!

On a different note- have you hear the news about the flooding and tornadoes in the Midwest/south??
I heard in Alabama people were looting. My first thought was "what terrible people" but then I slapped myself on the wrist and realized my house is standing, my kids are healthy, and I have food in my house. I know that if my kids were hungry I would be breaking a grocery store window along side  those looters. I was asking a friend of mine from back home to get a 3 months supply of food in her house. She thought I was completely crazy, and asked me if I am living in fear.
I do have the chicken little syndrome, and I am the first to admit it.... but prepping is not fear.
When you go on vacation do you pack? Do you plan for things that might happen? I will bring this dress in case we go out to a nice restaurant one night.
We plan for other things in our lives. I see no harm in prepping our home. Look at what is going on around the world. Earthquakes, floods, and tornadoes and that is just in the last two months.
What happens when gas skyrockets? Do you think the trucks are going to be able to deliver to the grocery stores? What happens after a flood? Those trucks can not drive in that water.
This is not fear- it is using your brain. Do not be part of the normalcy bias and think that your life as it is right now will never change.

No comments:

Post a Comment