my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Granola

I want to start posting recipes that will be storage friendly, and will use up food storage.
I love granola! I never really liked the store bought stuff, and so I never liked granola. Then a friend made me some and it was amazing. I have played around with different recipes and I made up with this one, and I think it is the bees knees. Hope you like it.

GRATIFYING USE UP YOUR OATS FROM FOOD STORAGE GRANOLA

INGREDIENTS:

1/8th cup olive oil (I have started using coconut oil)

1 cup juice (I recommend pineapple, orange or apple)

¼ cup honey

Splash of vanilla

3 cup oats (old fashioned)

¼ cup ground flax

¾ cup almond sleeves

½ cup sweetened coconut

¼ cup brown sugar unpacked

Pinch of salt

Pinch of cinnamon

Dried cranberries

Raisins



DIRECTIONS:

Bring the oil and juice to boil in a saucepan till it reduces by half (about 10 minutes)

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Once the liquid is reduced add the honey and vanilla to the sauce pan.

Pour the liquid over the dry ingredients and mix with a big wooden spoon.

Spread over a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 35 minutes, stirring it every 10 minutes.

Let granola cool and add raisins, and dried cranberries. You can add any dried fruit or nuts you enjoy like bananas, or peanuts for a salty taste.

Store in an air tight container. Great by itself, in yogurt, or as cereal with milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment