my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Monday, June 6, 2011

water storage

Storing water is so crucial- especially for those of us that live in the flipping desert. My closest water source is about 15 miles away and since I am not used to walking 30 miles a day carrying buckets of water and there are so many different scenarios that would not allow me to leave my house I can not rely on that water. The average recommendation for stored water is one gallon per person per day. This is minimal.
Washing your clothes, drinking, cooking and cleaning takes allot of water. I have been storing water in different containers. Drinking water can be stored in plastic drums (if previously used make sure the drum had edible contents inside- no chemicals), Water bottles even used soda bottles. I also store water that I will not use for drinking in old bleach bottles, and house hold cleaner bottles. I will say this again the water stored in bleach bottles, or house hold cleaning products can nor be used for drinking. I will use them for washing, and cleaning. Make sure you have a thick plastic container when doing this, remember milk jugs can not be used for any type of storage as they will disintegrate.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, people who live in areas where rain is scarce need to be more vigilant with water conservation. Some people are lucky enough to have rains once in a while. Well, another useful water storage tip is to build your own storage tank. You’ll be surprised with the amount of water you can collect without even lifting a finger!


    Richelle Loughney

    ReplyDelete