my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

20 ways to stay cool with out AC

I live in Arizona, and it is HOT! Don't tell me it is a dry heat, and think that it is a comforting statement. It's just hot. It has been 115-118 the last few days and since I suffer from chicken-little syndrome and not a normalcy bias, I have been wondering how I am going to survive when we get hit with an EMP.
Since an EMP will knock out anything electrical- there goes my AC and fans.  I have been reading a bit and have seen a few ideas that I think are worthy to mention.
Water is the main source for most of the ideas, and in a survival situation if water was scarce that could pose a problem. Just keep that in mind....
1. Turn off and unplug devices such as t.v's that are turn on instantly as they can still give off heat when they are turned off but plugged in.
2. A cool rag on your pressure points will help dramatically.
3. Heat resistant/light reflective window coverings. I need to invest in that. Simple blinds are not going to cut it. You need something to keep the sun out.
4. Opening the windows at night, and closing them during the day. This would not apply to me in AZ because it is still 115 degrees at 2 o'clock in the AM.
5. Place fans in the windows to pull the cooler air from outside. (would not work in an EMP)
6. Spray bottle with water. Living with my mother for the first part of my married life I can say this works. I have fond memories of my husband and I spraying each other down because my mom is tight with her money, and would not turn on the AC.
7. Wetting and wringing out the sheets on your bed. You will sleep better.
8. Stay out of the sun. Snooze or just take it easy.
9. If you can hang out inside your house stay as close to naked as you can.
10. If you must go outside then cover up. People around here go everywhere in coochie-cutters, and tank tops. We need to take a hint from the migrant workers, or even those in the Middle East. They cover up with an Indian cotton, or muslin. That is the way to go. Coochie-cutters and a tank top just make you look slutty, they will not keep you cool.
11. Cook outside. Use your rocket stoves, solar ovens, or grills.
12.Use peppermint. There are many options like fresh peppermint in a pitcher water, peppermint soaps, lotions, or mint teas.
13. When you cook outside use spices. Spices make you sweat more.
14. Sit in the shade outside. It may be cooler out there then in your house.
15. I have not tried this one yet, but a cool slice of cucumber in the middle of your forehead is supposed to cool your body quickly. (again during an EMP- you would not have a cold refrigerator)
16. Instead of searching for the cool side of the pillow, get a buckwheat pillow and it will always be cool. The buckwheat absorbs the heat instead of holding it there next to your face.
17. Cool shower, cool bath, running in the hose.
18. Plant some trees
19. Drink plenty of cool water.
20. Wet and wring out towels and hang them in front of open windows. I would do that at night here.

No comments:

Post a Comment