my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

my hygiene kit

Hygiene is a big issue after a catastrophe. So much disease is spread through poor sanitary conditions. After the poop hits the fan..... it keeps coming, so what are you going to do with it?
People have asked me when I would use these kits. The answer can very. Gas goes up- trucks stop delivering and I cant get toilet paper. Hyper inflation and I need to buy food, pay water bill... not buy toilet paper or tampons. My house is leveled in an earthquake. I have to evacuate and I would rather go ruff it in the wilderness then go to a FEMA camp.... the list is endless.


Here are the toilet ideas.
The first toilet is a 5 gallon bucket with a noodle from the dollar store that has been cut up one side and slid over the top of the bucket. I have secured it with zip ties after two small holes were drilled in the bucket.
The second toilet is a seat I got from emergency essentials for about 9 dollars. It snaps on and off the top of a 5 gallon bucket.
The third is the same idea as the noodle, but it is pipe insulation.
With the noodle toilet, and the insulation toilet you would probably need to put a bag over the top just to make sure that you keep the noodle/insulation clean.

These are buckets I put together for each member of my family. They each contain a shower curtain- for privacy. A Peri bottle to help spray off their bottom.... you would be surprised how well these work. Also, I have included re-usable toilet paper. (wash cloths)
You can cut and serge the cloths so they are cute and little squares if you want. I figured that would be a waste of time. I am okay with having a big wash cloth to use as I like the idea of extra surface area!

 There are two buckets. One bucket ( white one) fits inside the other one (diamond design). The smaller bucket has a hinged lid, and will hold all the dry items. Toilet paper etc. Then once an item is used it will be placed in the bottom bucket to soak in a little water/soap/bleach solution. (what ever you want to use)
Then when you are ready to wash the used items they will be easier to clean since they have not become dried and crusted. YAY!



This is my solar shower. I looked around and found some bladder types, but I thought they looked cheap and I would be worried that the bladder would get a hole in it... and then what? Full on monkey butt- that's what. I got a 2 1/2 gallon bucket and spray painted in matte black. Matte (not shine) so that it would absorbs the heat. Then I drilled one hole in the side towards the bottom.
 The rest of the hard wear I got from home depot in the plumbing section.
 Here is the gasket that goes on the inside of the bucket (with the rubber red ring) and then the other piece is on the outside.
 Here is the on/off valve so that you can wet down. Turn off the water, soap up, and then turn the water back on to wash off.

These are re-usable maxi pads. The first one pictured is a for lighter flow days, or just a panty liner.

This one has inserts so that you can control the coverage you have. More inserts for nigh time, or a heavier flow.

I also want to get a menstrual cup. There are many different brands if you do a search for them. This is what they look like
It is flexible and you can not feel it. It sits inside and catches everything, then you pull it out and empty it. I found a good price on amazon. Do not forget to store for your daughters- even if they are little, and you think it is crazy! do it.

Now that we have this, we need to think about what to do with our poo. Short term, or long term ideas.
For short term- maybe a week or two. You can bag it, and bury the bag. There are bags specifically sold for this purpose. ...like these.







No comments:

Post a Comment