my psychotic chicken little style rants and ramblings- while on the road to self reliance.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

diatomacious earth

I am back, and SURVIVED GIRLS CAMP!!!!!

I was looking on YouTube one day wanting information on kefir. (kefir is awesome- so good for you and will kill a yeast infection like it was nothing, and it will also help you poop.)  I wanted to make a smoothie with kefir and I thought I would have a good chance finding it. And since everything is on YouTube- I did. The guy in the video talked about diatomaceous earth and said he always added it to his smoothies. I had NO idea what Diatomaceous earth was, and started searching that. Seriously? What did I do before YouTube?

Before I start let me say you MUST USE FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH!!! NON-FOOD GRADE WILL KILL YOU.

DE looks like all purpose flour, but it is thousand year old fossilized diatoms (bugs). The main uses for DE are to kill bugs in your home, your yard and in your digestive track.  If you look at it under a microscope  DE is jagged, and that is how it kills bugs. The bugs walk through the DE and it cuts them up and dries them out.
I share my backyard with a ton of black widow spiders. They protest about once a month and claim they were here first, and I have invaded their land- it is a constant battle to the death. (I killed 9 in a 20 minute long battle.) One day I saw a big one on the underside of my house- I did not reach it in time to kill it and it snuck into a crack in the house.
I sucked up some DE in that green bulb booger sucker thing the hospital gives you when you have a baby, and I stuck the tip of it in the crack and puffed as much DE in there as I could. A few hours later the sun was setting and I went outside when I saw a big white dead spider hanging in it's web. It was the widow. Gosh, I love this stuff.
I puff it around my food storage, under my couches, around my outside doors, in my cabinets, I put it inside my food storage (grains) to kill anything that is in there too. I puff it in window sills, in light sockets.... tons of stuff. If you see weird white stuff in my house, chances are it is DE.
It is amazing for gardening, and is true organic gardening. I like to pour some on the ant hills out side too, and no worries if my kids or animals eat it.
I give it to my dogs to keep them worm free. It is awesome for any animal- cats, chickens, cows- what have you.
I take it, and I too put it in my kefir smoothie. I found some statistics of people who actually have worms, or some type of parasite and do not know it. It was astounding. So many of us have something and do not know it. When I started taking it I was extra smelly for a few days, and I think it killed something in me, and I stunk till it came out. Yuck.
DE is seriously awesome. It is easy to store, and is beneficial to have. I heard recently on the news about a new out break of bed bugs. That what used to kill them- is no longer doing it, as the bed bugs have become resistant. DE will kill them. If you don't have some, make it a goal and store it.
Remember you MUST USE FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH!!! NON-FOOD GRADE WILL KILL YOU. 

Here is where I buy my DE they have a great video that explains more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment